Monday, October 26, 2009

Remembrance of Kwai Fun, from Elsie Sze

Our memories of a loved one often come in recollections of episodes we connect with him or her, those moments in time that together become a celebration of a life that had touched us in different ways. As we all try to come to terms with Kwai Fun's unexpected and untimely exit from our world, our lives, and grapple with our deep loss, I want to share one such moment with you....


In the autumn of 2005, I was at one of the author’s events for my novel Hui Gui at a Chapters store in Markham, a weekday afternoon, not the best time for a reading. A few minutes to the start of the program, but where was the audience? It was disheartening to see so many empty chairs. Then, just before I was to begin, I saw two familiar faces which lifted my spirit: that of my youngest son, Tim, who had rushed to the bookstore all the way from the university downtown after class, and that of Kwai Fun, taking a seat quietly in front, and giving me an encouraging smile. I started to read from my book, feeling reassured and confident, knowing I was reading to two special people, my own son and Kwai Fun, strangers to each other, but who in that instant had joined forces to boost my hurt morale, and put me on a pedestal when my pride was suffering. I am crying now as I think of Kwai Fun at that moment in time, when her presence meant so much to me. Thank you, Kwai Fun, from the bottom of my heart.

I miss you very much, KKF. My prayers and love. Rest in peace.

No comments: